Scholarship Title : Additive Manufacturing Processing and Shape Memory Effect Characterisation of Nitinol
Reference Number : WD_2020_72_WSCH
Supervisors : Dr. Ramesh Raghavendra, Dr. Sinéad Uí Mhurchadha, Dr. Mert Celikin
Research Group : SEAM Research Centre
Department: School of Engineering
Duration: 48 Months
Status: Full time
Funding information : WIT Co-Fund Scholarship 2020/2021 (WSCH) & Boston Clonmel
Value of Scholarship : Stipend €17,000; Fees €4,500
Research costs-there will be an adequate allowance of €7,500 per year for the successful PhD candidate that includes materials & consumables costs and travel & subsistence associated with the research activities.
Teaching requirement : Two hours of academic development activities per week during the academic year in line with scholarship requirements.
Closing date and Time : Advertisement Period 06/08/2021-15/09/2021. This Competition will close at 4pm Irish time on the 15th of September 2021.
Interview date : TBC
Commencement Date: Approx. January 2022
Industry Partner : Boston Clonmel
Additive Manufacturing Processing and Shape Memory Effect Characterisation of Nitinol
This project will focus on the additive manufacturing processing and the material characterisation of biocompatible Nitinol material. Nitinol is a Nickel-Titanium (NiTi) alloy that is a shape memory alloy, giving it two unique properties, pseudo-elasticity and the shape memory effect. The material can be plastically deformed at low temperatures and then be restored to its original shape at temperatures above a characteristic temperature. Given these properties, Nitinol is an ideal candidate material for stent applications, where the transformation temperature is close to body/room temperature. Additive manufacturing (AM) opens up a new design space for components, lending itself to the manufacture of customised geometries that can enhance biomedical treatments, such as customized stents with specific vessel diameters and anatomy to suit specific patient. However, challenges exist for the processing of Nitinol via AM, as it is difficult to achieve the required mechanical properties and phase transformation temperatures. This project will investigate the effect of processing parameters and post-processing treatments on the shape memory effect and mechanical properties of AM Nitinol. This will result in the development of AM Nitinol stents for the improved internal structure and support to vessels within the body.
- Applicants should hold, as a minimum, a 2.1 Honours degree or equivalent, in Materials or Mechanical & Manufacturing Engineering.
Knowledge & Experience
- Some knowledge on Additive Manufacturing processes, good understanding of microstructural development in materials and analytical characterization techniques.
- Some experience using additive manufacturing and analysis of additively manufactured parts.
- Some experience of working on research projects.
- Some hands-on experience in the use of experimental equipment.
Skills & Competencies
- Applicants whose first language is not English must submit evidence of competency in English, please see WIT’s English Language Requirements for details.
- Good IT skills with some evidence of exposure in the use of equipment control/CAD/data analysis software packages.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Good communication and presentation skills.
For any informal queries, please contact Dr. Ramesh Raghavendra at email: firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone: +353 (0) 51845648 or +353 (0) 879668547.
For queries relating to the application and admission process please contact the Postgraduate Admissions Office via email email@example.com or telephone +353 (0) 51302883.
Download the Research Postgraduate Application Form and return completed applications to firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting WD_2020_72_WSCH in the email subject line. Please note that paper submissions will not be accepted.
The Institute may decide to interview only those applicants who appear from the information available, to be the most suitable, in terms of experience, qualifications and other requirements of the post.
WIT is an equal opportunities employer.